Pace of Play: How to Speed Up Your Play
A key element to an enjoyable day on the golf course is to be aware of the pace of play… here are some suggestions to help.
- Be aware of your position on the course -- always keep up with the group ahead… do not worry about the group behind you.
- If you feel that your group is falling behind take responsibility and bring this to the attention of the other players in your group.
- Plan your shot while walking to your ball or while others are playing.
- Be ready to play when it is your turn to play, particularly on the putting green. Walk briskly between shots.
- Walk directly to your golf ball; do not follow other players to theirs unless assisting in a search.
- If riding, take several clubs with you to your ball so you will not have to walk back to the cart.
- At the putting green, leave all equipment where you can pick it up on the way to the next hole.
- Record scores on the next teeing ground (not on the green) while others are hitting or after you have played your tee shot.
- Do not take mulligans, but understand how to use a "provisional ball".